Muscle Energy Techniques with DVD-ROM, 3rd Edition By Leon Chaitow, ND, DO
Imprint: Churchill Livingstone
Describes the basis and practice of MET ie those manipulative techniques in which a patient, on request, actively uses his or her muscles from a controlled position in a specific direction against a distinct counterforce applied by the practitioner.. This is now a widely recognised approach to the treatment of musculoskeletal dysfunction. It combines methods used in physical therapy, osteopathy, chiropractic and manual medicine. The text provides a comprehensive and uptodate presentation of the techniques. The DVD-Rom includes video clips to demonstrate the application of the techniques and so supports and supplements the text.
- Details the background to soft tissue dysfunction and explains the chain reactions which occur as part of such dysfunctions.
- Provides precise assessment and diagnosis guidelines.
- Gives many variations on the safe use of MET in acute, chronic, and rehabilitation settings.
- Explains the use of MET for whole muscle problems, local dysfunction, and joint restrictions.
- Suggests patient self-application methods.
- Includes a companion DVD-ROM with video clips of the author demonstrating the techniques.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
Additional techniques are added to both text and DVD-ROM videos.
Information is expanded on some of the techniques included in previous edition.
Content is updated throughout, with reference to the latest published research.
Four new chapters cover efficacy and research, MET in a massage therapy setting, MET in treatment of athletic injuries, and MET in physical medicine settings.
"I'm rather taken with the new edition of this book. Dr. Chaitow has gathered well known experts from several disciplines and has crafted a book that will be used by all of them. A great deal of care has gone into this book. There is a wealth of clinical information and a very good overview of research regarding the use of MET in managing a range of conditions and clinical situations. The focus on other disciplines is a great plus in this new edition. I recommend it."
Weighted Numerical Score 95 - 4 Stars!
- Dana J. Lawrence, DC of Doody's Book Reviews
This book does not disappoint. Everything you ever wanted to know about [MET's] is contained within these pages. The format is very user friendly and the book is littered with clinically relevant ideas and techniques. It is sure to help enhance your practice.
- Steve Canning, In Touch, Spring 2008, No. 122.
By Leon Chaitow, ND, DO, Osteopathic Practitioner and Senior Lecturer, University of Westminister, London, UK