ACSM's Complete Guide to Fitness & Health By ACSM
Book 408 pages
You know the importance of good health, but how do you achieve it? And how do you maintain it through the years as your body and lifestyle change, introducing obstacles to physical activity and optimal nutrition? In ACSM’s Complete Guide to Fitness & Health, you will find the answers and much, much more.
The American College of Sports Medicine, the largest and most-respected sport science and medicine organization in the world, has created the ACSM’s Complete Guide to Fitness & Health to strip away common fads, myths, and misconceptions and provide you with the latest research, sound advice, and age-specific recommendations that you can trust.
You will learn these strategies:
- Optimize your weight, improve heart health, and increase aerobic fitness, strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Improve your health by managing diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis and joint pain, pregnancy, and osteoporosis through exercise and proper nutrition.
- Determine your body composition and current cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness levels.
- Monitor, evaluate, and adjust your exercise program over time for optimal results.
Introduce exercise, increase physical activity, and improve your diet for more energy and better health (no matter what your age!).Featuring step-by-step instructions and full-color photos for the most effective exercises, sample workouts, practical advice, age-specific physical activity guidelines, and strategies for incorporating exercise into even the busiest of lifestyles, ACSM’s Complete Guide to Fitness & Health is a resource that belongs in every family’s library.
- Part I Fit, Active, and Healthy
- Chapter 1. Meeting and Exceeding the Physical Activity Guidelines, Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 2. Assessing Personal Fitness, Christopher Berger
- Chapter 3. ACSM Program for Balanced Fitness, Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 4. Nutrition for Better Health and Fitness, Stella Volpe
- Chapter 5. Adopting and Maintaining Healthy Habits, Marcus Kilpatrick
- Part II Exercise and Activity for Building a Better You
- Chapter 6. Aerobic Activity, Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 7. Resistance Training, Avery Faigenbaum
- Chapter 8. Flexibility and Balance, Jan Schroeder and Shawn Dolan
- Part III Fitness and Health for Every Age
- Chapter 9. Children and Adolescents: Up to Age 17, Don W. Morgan and Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 10. Adults: Ages 18 to 64, Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 11. Older Adults: Ages 65 and Over, Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko and Andiara Schwingel
- Part IV Fitness and Health for Every Body
- Chapter 12. Cardiovascular Health, Barry Franklin, Amy Fowler, and Lucy Sternburgh
- Chapter 13. Weight Management, Laura Kruskall
- Chapter 14. Diabetes, Gregory Ledger, Anthony Giglio, and Barbara Bushman
- Chapter 15. High Blood Pressure, William Farquhar
- Chapter 16. High Cholesterol, J. Larry Durstine and Keith Burns
- Chapter 17. Arthritis and Joint Pain, A. Lynn Millar
- Chapter 18. Pregnancy (Pre- and Postnatal), Lanay Mudd
- Chapter 19. Osteoporosis and Bone Health, Kerri Winters-Stone and Kara Witzke